Wednesday 26 June 2013

I worked as a casual worker at Eagle Flour -- Yinka Ayefele


Tungba gospel/juju artiste, Yinka Ayefele, had an opportunity to recall his turbulent past recently. He and other professionals had a mentoring session with a group of secondary school students in Ibadan, Oyo State. The event was organised by the Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.
The youths, who converged on Jogor Centre, Ibadan, had a fun-packed moment listening to several professionals from different disciplines. The programme brought together pupils and young professionals for career counselling, motivation and brainstorming session in a relaxed atmosphere.
On his part, Ayefele told the pupils that he initially planned to be a lawyer but ended up as a broadcaster. Though he is now seen as a successful artiste, he explained that the road to fame was tortuous.

“I worked as a casual worker at Eagle Flour. I joined Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria in 1989. I was there as a Father Christmas and I used to earn N50.’’
Recalling his experience when he had an accident and sustained a spinal cord injury, he said, “I spent nine months in hospital and I knew there was no remedy for spinal cord injury. I had a choice – to die or to live. I chose to live. I didn’t want to become a liability. I decided to live and make it.
“I learnt how to play all musical instruments on my own. I was in persistent pains 24 hours – five of my ribs got broken in the accident, but I had to forget my pains and forge ahead”.

He urged the participants to aim high and refuse to allow anything to stop them from reaching their goals in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT. THIS IS KAF COMMUNITY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...