Saturday 18 January 2014

Modelling for Lady Gaga was amazing — Nigeria-born UK Model [PHOTOS]

Modelling for Lady Gaga was amazing — Nigeria-born UK Model

Oni Oladimeji was the first runner up at the 2013 edition of the UKTop Model. The model, in this interview with Doyin Adeoye (Tribune), spoke about his fashion preferences, career and style, among other things.

Foray into modelling…
I had always had the passion for modelling and that basically started a long time ago, but because of some restraining factors here in Nigeria, I had to subdue the passion. But I remember ever since I was at the university, around 2010, my friends used to tell me of how good my body looked and how I could make a career in modelling, but I never gave it much thought. It was not until I got in contact with Mon Ami, the prominent Nigerian fashion designer, that I began to see it as a major career. He groomed and encouraged me into the modelling field. He taught me about perseverance, which is important in this line of profession. I was serving then in Abeokuta, Ogun State, so I used to shuttle between there and Lagos, following him to shows and it was a really good experience.
Modelling in the UK…
I travelled to the UK for my Masters after I finished my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme and I remember initially when I got there, I still had the same mentality I had from Nigeria, that it wouldn’t be easy to get an equal chance with the models there. But I got triggered one day as I was shopping online for some wears; I saw these perfect blazers on a mannequin and I looked at its structure and it struck me that I could do such as well. So I went online and surfed for modelling agencies and after I got one, I did some photo shoots and later  I had the opportunity to work with a marketing company, the N2O Experiential Marketing Company, UK, which created a platform for me to model at some shows, as a promo model and a brand ambassador.


 Modelling for Lady Gaga…
While at the company, I got an opportunity to represent one of their models, Lady Gaga, to work in Sheffield as an in-store model, to boost and create awareness about her brand; her perfume known as Fame. It was an amazing three-day modelling platform, because the people there were very nice and welcoming. They came into the store every day to the extent that we ran out of stock of the product. So it was really amazing modelling for Lady Gaga.

Other brands you represent...
I also worked as a brand ambassador for The Links body spray, as well as a brand ambassador for some Unilever products, such as Dove and some of their other products. I was also a rigger for Toni and Guy at Boots Store, Wolverhampton, where we put in place the necessary rigging equipment in store to facilitate the demonstration of their hairstyling products.

UKTop Model experience…
The experience was awesome. We were chosen after some auditions and thereafter, we went for the opening ceremony in Soho, London, where we showcased ourselves and met with other models.  The event was held on April 20, 2013 at the Hilton London Metropole Hotel. It was the grand finale; the men’s category of the competition and we had the opportunity to meet with different designers from different countries and it was really a good time for me.


Emerging as a winner...
I never thought I would be part of the winners. The winner was from Italy, while the second runner up was from Britain. I was the only Nigerian in the category and I remember that while at the back stage, as everyone was admiring the Italian’s effort for winning, my number was called as the first runner-up and I didn’t even realise that was me until it was called for about three times. So it came as shock, but I felt elated.

Platforms it exposed you to...
There were so many benefits that were supposed to come out of it, had it been I stayed back in the UK, but I couldn’t. If I had, I would have been able to use the platform to pursue other things, but I wasn’t chanced to stay longer.

Education background…
I attended Doland International School and Rose International School, both in Akute, Ogun State, for my primary school education. Then I proceeded to the Lagos State Model College, Badore, for my secondary school education and then to the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, where I studied Crop Protection. Then I went ahead to Coventry University, London, for a Master in International Business.

How Nigerian modelling industry can be improved...
Unlike the UK, where there are lot of companies and modelling agencies online for you to work with, the reverse is the case here in Nigeria. Back in the UK, you can get contracts to work for some brands once your profile is put out there and I think that is a very good way to encourage and promote aspiring models. Also the Nigerian industry focuses more on female models, which I feel if such attention was also paid on the male counterparts, would go a long way in helping. Even Nigerian designers work more on female clothings than the males, with 80 per cent of the industry focusing on the females and 20 per cent on the males. So if this can be addressed, then it would get better.


Definition of style…
Style is your personality. If your personality is not into your line of style, then people would know that you are only trying to create what is not within you. But if you bring in your own personal style, probably in the way you talk, walk or dress, then that would define you. So basically, style, to me, is the way you do your things. Then style has to do with your personal grooming; the way you look and compose yourself. Personally, a driving force for me is ‘never forget yourself when you are out there. Present yourself in a way that gets you noticed.’ So I would say the definition of style is to stay well, stay fit, stay nice.

What makes a good outfit...
Well, my response to that is quite funny. My favourite guy in every movie I’ve seen is Harvey Specter in the series, Suits. The role was played by Gabriel S. Macht and I really loved his personal grooming. He was always looking so good and his carriage and everything about him was a perfect blend. He dressed as if the outfits were personally made for him. So to answer your question, every outfit he wore in that movie was a good one.

Besides modelling, what else do you do?
I’m a businessman and that is basically what I’m doing now.

Favourite accessory?
That would be my perfume. The truth is UK changed a lot about me. If someone had told me before I travelled that I would spend as much as ₦5,000 on a perfume, I probably wouldn’t have believed it. But my mentality changed over there. So the perfume I use is Amouage Memoir, which goes for about 200 pounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment

WE APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT. THIS IS KAF COMMUNITY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...