Monday 7 October 2013

My New Release ‘The Love Album’ was inspired by my wife – Jeremiah Gyang

My New Release ‘The Love Album’ was inspired by my wife – Jeremiah Gyang

After a long wait for another release following his well received album, ‘Na ba ka’, fans of Jeremiah Pam Gyang finally get to hear something new from him called ‘The Love Album’. He speaks on the album, being a new dad and other things he’s been up to in recent times.

You recently had the unplugged for your new release. Could you tell us about it?
Jeremiah Gyang: 
My new release is called ‘The Love Album’. It’s a collection of love songs.

It took quite a while for it to come out. Why was that?
The album took quite a while to come out, because besides taking time out to understand better the music industry, I also took time out to get to know myself better and also to develop as a person. For me the journey that led to the release of ‘The Love Album’ was a rediscovery of myself and of my music.

What was the inspiration behind it?
It was inspired by my wife, Ladi. She is the reason I wrote it. Basically, I wrote it about her.

How much different is it from your previous album?
With this new album, I explored even more genres of music than I did in the ‘Na Ba Ka’ one. In the album I’ve covered different topics including love particularly between a man and a woman.

What was the experience like working on this one?
I can’t recount the total experience that culminated in the realization of the album. It is the story of a couple of years. And that is a whole lot of time to recollect events that happened, but I can say in summary that the experience was a collection of different feelings and expressions.  I was working on different songs over a period and when the time was right, they all just came together and that’s how I got the album together.

What should your fans look forward to in it?
My fans can look forward to music that will inspire them to love better. There is also music to heal them if they were having issues with love as well as music to make them be more givers in love than receivers.

Do you expect it to have the same impact ‘Na Ba Ka’ had?
I can’t say if this album will have the same impact as ‘Na Ba Ka’ did. Maybe it will, but I can’t say for certain especially as both albums were designed for different demographies.

The last time we spoke, you said you’ve been quiet because you’ve been busy developing yourself, getting married and learning more about life. What new lessons has life taught you and what other new additions are there?
Life has taught me a whole lot these past years. I have a daughter now and life has taught me to work hard and smart. I have also learned to be patient and to be expectant when I need to be as well as to put everything in perspective and in the right place.

So far, what would you say is the high point of your career yet?
I could say the high point of my career was going back to Jos…every single time. I can’t explain the nostalgia and history between Jos and I, but the one thing I can say is that it is skin deep. It gives me a high everytime I go back to Jos, even if it’s not to perform on an international stage. Working with Steve Gukas, Nuhu Ali, Onyeka Onwenu; they are all terrific people and working with them was a great pleasure.

Who are you looking to do collaboration with?
I dream of working with Brian McKnight, Steven Wonder, Musiq Soulchild, Pj Morton, Alicia Keys and India Arie - she is amazing.

What would you say is your passion?
I have a passion for mobile tech and cars, but they are more like hobbies and they change from time to time, but right now I would say technology is my passion.

If you had to take a different route career wise, what would you be doing if not music?
I guess I would be designing and manufacturing gadgets if I wasn’t making music.

You were recently made an ambassador with the National Orientation Agency. How do you intend to use this position to benefit the youths?
I’ve always dreamt of being on a platform to help young Nigerians and Nigerians in general. I always felt that I had a message Nigerians had to hear. Being an ambassador with the National Orientation Agency is a big deal. With my music I intend to maximize the opportunity presented by the NOA to touch the lives of Nigerians in as many ways as presented on all available platforms, especially spreading the message of peace and national unity.

With your love for Jos, what is your take on the situation there especially as one who grew up in a serene society and as an artiste?
I hate violence. I would like to ask Nigerians if there is any of them out there who still remember what the civil war was like? I would like to urge them to stop these young children from the senseless acts they are involved in. Personally, my mind feels violated. I pray it changes.  The excuses we give seem to always have their roots in ambiguity. Both sides lose before realising what they have done to themselves.

Do you have a favourite among your works?
I like just about every song I’ve made. Maybe some more than others sometimes, but I have no real favorites. If I don’t like a song I keep working on it until I like it as much as the others.

How much fun is it working and touring with/without your family?
I usually don’t go on tour with my family, but it’s always awesome having them around when I do. My recent performance in Abuja at ‘The Jeremiah Gyang Unplugged Series 1’ was the first ever I had my daughter in attendance. It’s was tough but awesome. Travelling with my wife is a beautiful experience and having her around is really cool. 

What next for Jeremiah Gyang?
I’m learning more daily how to be more than a musician and I’m getting serious about learning the business behind music making, and how to find a balance between being a musician and a businessman. Every day I see a lot of reasons why I need to learn more about the music business.

Asides music, what are your other interests?
My interests besides music are music, and music, and music and more music. (Laughter)

What other instruments do you play asides the guitar?
I play a whole bunch of instruments and I’m learning to play even more. Now I play the keyboard, the drums, the guitar and a lot of others.

Is there any skill you look forward to acquiring?
I’d like to learn how to play the violin and the saxophone.

How is it going with you and Nollywood?
It’s going great. The relationship is interesting. I’m a musician, but sometimes I’m presented with the opportunity to act. I guess it comes with the profession. I take the opportunities if they appeal to me.

Source: Weeklytrust


No comments:

Post a Comment

WE APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT. THIS IS KAF COMMUNITY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...