Friday 13 December 2013

“Most Nigerian Songs Lack Content” – Azadus

“Most Nigerian Songs Lack Content” – Azadus

Ever wondered what popular singer, Olalekan Fadeyi, popularly known as Azadus, has been up to these past years? You need not worry any longer as the veteran singer who is well known for hit songs, such as ‘Madam’, ‘Sodiyen’ and ‘U is the one’, is planning to return to the music scene in a big way with a new album in 2014.
In an exclusive chat with E-Punch, the former member of the Hip hop group, Def O Clan, explains that his perceived silence or absence was due to some challenges he encountered a few years ago.
“My career suffered a brief setback after I survived an armed robbery attack in the Festac area of Lagos in 2008. I had two gunshot wounds: one in my wrist and another in my right thigh. Luckily, it didn’t affect my gait. That was the same year I left Kennis Music to do my thing. I was with the records label for about seven years and we still do have a cordial relationship,” he says.

Azadus’ attempts at reviving his music career saw him drop an album entitled, ‘Undialed’, in 2010. Not impressed with the marketing strategy, the artiste simply recalled the work from public domain. “Ever since, I have been trying my best to see how well I can do my thing,” he says.
But this has yet to truly pay off, as the artiste has had some challenges, most of which are peculiar to the Nigerian entertainment industry.
“As you now know, it is not about how good your music is, but how well you can promote it. And we are talking about some good money here. Although you will eventually recoup your money, getting the initial capital is rather tough.
“I don’t know how to do 419, or meet any ‘Baba’ somewhere. Right now, I am looking for people who will be interested in doing business with us and not just help us. But, we are searching for people. Something big is coming up and I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag yet,” he teases.
Despite the fact that his recent singles, ‘Ile Aye’ featuring Vector and Sound Sultan, and ‘See Trouble’ which also features Sound Sultan and 2face Idibia, are getting rave reviews, the self-styled musician’s musician is not happy about the current situation in the Nigerian music scene.
If there is one incident that readily brings tears to his eyes, it is the death of his close friend and colleague, Father U-Turn. Recalling the moments they spent together, he says, “Father U Turn was like a brother to me. In fact, a month before he passed on, we were together and he told me he was just recovering from an illness. “This was after I inquired about his health and the way he looked.
“I felt sad when he finally died. This is bad for my country because we do not appreciate real service. Instead, we appreciate only buying and selling. Although this is an African problem, it is worse in Nigeria. “If Father U-Turn had lived the kind of life he wished for himself, he would not have died the way he did. There is also no reason why an OJB, for instance, should beg for money if the industry was the way it is actually meant to be.”
Azadus says he is not prepared to give up music yet, though the industry has since grown in leaps and bounds since he recorded his last hit song.  But armed with what he describes as his winning formula, it appears that he has a surprise for music fans.
“There is an album in progress. I intend to drop a couple more videos and singles.  I regularly stay up to beat and keep tabs and update my music with ongoing trends. For every ‘Kukere’, I try to do my own ‘Kukere’ type of music, ditto for ‘Atlanta’.
“Unfortunately, I am yet to see anyone who has the courage to step into my shoes. I still do not know why that space is still very vacant. I think I am in a class of my own and nobody has been able to do my kind of music,” he says, laughing.
Azadus thinks the Nigerian music industry is riddled with mediocrity. He says, “Our music industry is such, that when you have money, you sound like you are playing good music. The truth is that a lot of people are complaining. Yet this type of music continues to make waves everywhere.
“Since mediocres have taken over the industry, there will be no such thing as good music to sell. Imagine someone repeating the same word over and over again in a song and he calls it music. Another guy plays the same kind of music, the whole world dances and jump into it saying it is content.
“Endorsements are a wonderful development in the industry. We have all the money now, but we lack content. We are yet to see the content.”
The singer waves away the rumour that he is broke. “This is plain idle talk. I do not understand why some people are saying that I am broke. How can you be broke and still take care of your family without begging anybody for assistance? A broke person is someone who will knock on your door and beg for money,” he says.

The artiste, who has kept his marriage away from the prying eyes of the public for eight years, has just one word for his fans. “Be a little bit more patient, the ball will soon start rolling. Because I studied the rudiments of music, my own music will continue to be different from that of other musicians,” he pleads.

Source: Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT. THIS IS KAF COMMUNITY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...